i still dream of alexander mcqueen’s knuckle duster clutches, but at $1,000+ and a more hermit personality than not, that dream is way off on the horizon. however, last night i saw a knuckle duster phone case! the owner of the case said it was by rebecca something but couldn’t remember. i asked if it was rebecca minkoff, but it didn’t really seem up her alley style-wise and the owner said no. however, now that it’s july, i’m trying to find out when the nordstrom anniversary catalogs are coming out so i went to the site. fate, via the nordstrom homepage, directed me to the tech accessories section and omg, yes it’s rebecca minkoff! surprising, but more than anything, exciting that i too, can have this wonderful little piece! to be honest though, i’ll wait and see if any color versions come out. who else thinks gold or a lacquered red is in order?
Posts Tagged ‘nordstrom’
July 3, 2012 by thelillinator
March 18, 2010 by thelillinator
i was at the southcenter nordstrom over the weekend, whiling away some time waiting for The Boyfriend’s flight to arrive at sea-tac, when i spied some new iterations on the classic converse chuck taylor. some were glittery, others had graphics on them, but the two i liked the most? a knee high(!) version (they zip up the back) that mostly just amused me but i would totally love to try to make work and a more realistic pair of slip-ons with painted on laces.
December 29, 2009 by thelillinator
i’ve got The Boyfriend so i don’t need any mistletoe-ing, but it’s time for all the after christmas sales! here’s a quick and dirty on what i’m looking into right now:
1. completely brilliant (i forgot i had this idea at about the same time last year)- get uggs in big kid sizes! case in point, the navy and cream striped scuffettes i’ve been eyeing since the ugg fall campaign was released in late summer. i just got some nordstrom notes in the mail (we’ll not discuss how many nordstrom notes there were and therefore how many actual money i had to spend to earn them), but getting these slippers for about $20 less just for getting it in a different department? yes please!
2. i recently attempted the over the knee boot despite my misgivings on how it will look on my frame. since i had similar misgivings on skinny jeans and have since found a way to make it work, i thought i may as well try the otk. well, my first foray sucked. i went super cheap at forever 21 so i wouldn’t feel as bad if it didn’t work. they actually didn’t look a quarter bad, but they were. so. noisy. back they went and in turn, i kept on searching for an entry otk boot. i think i found it in the restricted vamp boot! i like the taupe color because it’s not quite brown/tan nor is it grey (even though i still want a pair of grey boots). living in seattle, i normally avoide suede, but since this isn’t an investment piece, i don’t feel that bad.
3. there are these schuler and sons wedges at the anthropologie downtown that i’ve been eyeing since at least september, if not earlier than that and i just called the store yesterday and they’re STILL not on sale! wtf? what does it take for something to get marked down? i mean, they still have my size so it doesn’t seem like the product is moving. je ne comprends pas! in any case, they’re pretty so i want to show them off in case in a moment of weakness i buy them anyways.
4. hautelook is featuring radcliffe jeans for the next day or so. i discovered this british brand a couple of years ago. their niche in the marketplace is for those of us who hate having to buy two pair so of the same jeans so we can have a long version for heels and a short version for flats. radcliffes actually come long enough for heels and have cleverly hidden little holes where camouflaged cufflinks can help you insta-hem your jeans! i’ve not bought the pair of primrose hill bootcuts (ignore how they’re styled) they have quite yet because hautelook is going to have a michael stars sale starting tomorrow and every now and again i find something i like from that line. i can’t be spending all my money on shipping all the time now, can i?
5. urban outfitters is currently having an insane sale where a good portion of their denim selection is only $39. even though skinny jeans have stuck around the past few years and don’t seem to be fading away any time soon, i refuse to spend too much on clothes that just do not absolutely flatter me, so this deal is right up my alley. i especially like the silence and noise lace ripped twig jean, which is exactly what it sounds like: a merging of the destroyed trend with the fancy lace trend. love it! i also am somewhat reluctantly jumping on the denim legging (more commonly known as the “jegging”- please, kill me now) bandwagon. i’m sorry, but i do not have skinny calves. i wouldn’t go so far as to say they’re fat or even athletic, and i by no means have cankles, but if i want to tuck a pair of jeans into boots, i need some damn thin material to do so! enter the denim leggings. i have one pair i bought in bp for around $40, so this pair of bdgs for only $39 seems reasonable.
6. so let me mention again that i’m taking a pole dancing class. i love it. i love that now i get to wear shoes and, if i do say so myself, i’ve probably got the most varied shoe wardrobe that i’ve seen at the studio yet. they all don’t have to be clear platforms, ladies! bordello by pleaser has a nice model called the teeze (with many iterations, i.e. teeze 31g or teeze 07) with the hidden platform so it’s just a lil less stripper than what you might have expected. for a class i go to twice a week, i already have four pairs of shoes (five counting the pair that some one randomly just gave me), so i’m sure i don’t need actually need another…but 20% off…and baby pink…and a mary jane…? how can i resist?
December 4, 2009 by thelillinator
tonight was a good night. i went to duque spa and salon for their shimmer beauty bar grand opening and the downtown seattle nordstrom private shopping event. food, drink, and other goodies make the world go round, in my opinion.
so for those who don’t know, duque just opened shimmer beauty bar, a space dedicated to making your face pretty. they cover make up, facial waxing, and lash extensions. duque, just around the corner on ballard avenue, provides hair and other spa services as well as an assortment of jewelry, cute undies, and a few clothing items. i haven’t had my hair done there, although my swag bag did include a coupon for a discount on hair services. what i have done with the duque family is discover my new home for lash extensions. heather is their make up artist/last extension maven and i love her. her fill prices are reasonable, she’s available until 6pm on weekdays that the salon is open, and she has a great attention to detail (*so* important for lash extensions). it doesn’t hurt that she’s cute and fun to talk to; makes you want to really be friends with her. they were offering a few free services tonight for their opening, but heather had a line several people deep and i didn’t want to wait nor to be rushed through any sort of hair removal process (ouch!) so i took off relatively quickly.
the most anticipated part of the evening was the nordstrom private shopping event. i look forward to this all year long. there’s champangne, food, 10x as many points on purchases with your nordstrom card…now the first private shopping event i went to included a few other people and consuming so much champagne that the only other thing i remember about that night is falling over and bruising my bum. since those days of my youth, i’ve continued to anticipate each of these annual events though i haven’t had as much “fun”. tonight i didn’t even buy anything for myself beyond exchanging my new moon t-shirt for a bigger and better left unsaid size. i guess considering how much online shopping i’ve been doing for myself over the last few days that’s good news, but i still felt somewhat deprived. i started trolling the cosmetics department looking for someone to woo my into buying a pretty new thing. alas, The Boyfriend dragged me out before i did any damage. see? i really can’t not shop.
October 2, 2009 by thelillinator
it’s all pre-orderable now! sadly, there actually are edward and jacob cut outs available with “keepsake pouches”. wtf kind of keepsake pouch fits a life size cardboard cut out? i wonder how that delivers? i wonder if they’ll be sold in stores? yikes.
so basically in addition to the luna and volturi twilight makeup, there’s now accessories and apparel. i expected to be disappointed by both. i am still disappointed in the cheesetastic accessories. there are your standard initals that abound across the collection, as well as charm bracelets, howling moon earrings, and cullen crest paraphernalia. points for producing quileute and other native american themed goods, but as the project runway judges harp, the collection loses on execution. overall, i’d say i’m just whelmed.
the apparel on the other hand has some bright spots! clearly i like to shop, as does alice in the twilight saga, but i never stopped to consider perhaps how much out tastes may similarly run . the two pieces online (i’m told the selection in the look book in stores is much broader) that i gravitated towards are both alice inspired. one is a plaid tunic dress that looks to be more tunic than dress and a tshirt with a letter that i don’t remember being written in the book scrawled across the front. if i get to leave the day job at a decent hour tomorrow i’m going to try to stop by the downtown bp to check out this look book for myself (and mayhaps indulge in a bit of preordering ;)).
September 28, 2009 by thelillinator
on my day off i was a good girl. i vacuumed, folded laundry, and went for a run.
on my day off i was a bad girl. i went to neiman marcus to spend my $50 gift card and instead of being sensible and buying some cosmetics for about $50, i spent a couple hundred (after the gift card…i know…doh!) and bought an awesome elizabeth and james plaid button up (similar to the picture, but with long sleeves). the buttons that run up and down the back let you completely customize the fit of the shirt. ingenious! i did balk a bit at the price, but considering how much i can fiddle with the fit of it, i figure it will last me throughout the years. i mean, what fall has come and gone that plaid hasn’t figured into? i also fell in love with this la rok blazer; it’s called the gothic princess. i must have it! the ruching on the three quarter sleeves is a nice touch (and i think a longer lasting alternative to the cuffed boyfriend blazer) and there’s some elastane in the fabrication so it’s a bit stretchy, which can be nice in a blazer, since they can often be a bit stiff and not allow a ton of movement (or maybe that’s just on me). unfortunately, the tulle is not detachable so my longevity rationalization is kind of thrown out the window on this piece.
by the way, did you know neiman marcus brick and mortars don’t take visa or mastercard? apparently visa’s not everywhere i want to be and something mastercard priceless something. supposedly this policy is in place for customers’ security. i think it’s because they want to make my life difficult. cash, check, neiman marcus card, or american express. is it odd that i have to thank costco for having an american express card? neiman marcus further failed me by still not having the marc by marc petal to the metal sasha bag! thankfully nordstrom did! i went and tried it on. omg, i almost died. (you know, i kind of don’t care of that there’s the concept that neiman marcus is higher end, and therefore better, than nordstrom. nordy’s hasn’t failed me yet.) i hadn’t thought to bring my laptop case with me though so i’m not sure if the laptop will fit in there or not. i’m horrible at estimating measurements of space so while i think it looks like it’s big enough for my laptop, i’m probably quite wrong.
hmmmm…with payday just around the corner, what should i get first? the blazer? the plenty by tracy reese coat from anthropologie? the bag? the frye matilda boots? oh, the choices!
September 10, 2009 by thelillinator
update to my prior post-
i got out of the day job at a decent hour today and i did go to nordstrom to try on the ugg highkoo boots. in the espresso color i liked, no less! and then i took them home with me. i consider that my participation in fashion’s night out. i even participated on east coast time with everyone else in nyc where all the real fun is. i was all wrapped up by 7pm pt/10pm et and home in my who-goes-to-victoria’s-secret-and-only-buys-sweats sweatpants.
for those curious about how the highkoos are in real life, it’s just the insole that is shearling and they run about a half size small. one really cool thing is there are a couple of sets of snaps for the button detail that allow you adjust your boots to be knee high or only calf high. i was even able to fit in my bootleg jean legs into the boots at the store, but i did go home and try them on again with a pair of skinny jeans. it was nice not to have to struggle too hard to get my jeans to stay down as i pulled up a boot. i say this because, while i don’t think i look like i have particularly big calves, i’ve found over the past couple of years that a lot of knee high boots are too small in the calf for me.
i even involved the dogs in fashion’s night out, albeit from afar since they were at home. i got an email from scraps today to let me know that my special order had come in. ruffus already has a rain jacket, a beater, and a dirty english muscle t, so a couple weeks ago i felt the need to stock up pj’s closet as well. i found some really cute things by gooby (yes, i hate the name) and because they are kind of lame and don’t have an e-commerce set up for retail, i went over to scraps to order pj a wardrobe. if her pink harness weren’t enough to let you know that she’s a girl, she now has a couple of ruffly vest/dresses and a bathrobe, pictured here. i actually think it’s a really cute bathrobe and may have her wear it more often than just when she’s fresh out o’the bath.
my other nod to fashion’s night out was tracking down my lost urban outfitters package with my susan by emma cook dress. i think i will wear it tomorrow since it’s supposed to be warm (yay for last dregs of summer!). since i bought this dress in two sizes because i didn’t know which one would fit better, would it be entirely too gauche to return the unwanted size while wearing the one i’ve decided to keep?